Saturday, October 30, 2010

Round 1 - California Native Plant Society

Hey everyone! I just realized that I've neglected to share what my first project will be. I actually found out at the beginning of the month but had to put it on ice because I couldn't tell any CMs until last weekend (I was too busy to think about the project at that point anyway).

I'll be working with the California Native Plant Society (CNPS) here in Sacramento for the first project round, which goes until December 13th. Our task is to remove a giant reed called Arundo from Cripple and Arcade Creeks in Citrus Heights. These things are massive - they basically look like huge bamboo stocks. They were originally planted as erosion control along creek banks, but actually ended up causing more erosion because of their shallow roots and tendency to break away during floods and take large chunks of soil with them. The also increase flood risk because they grow so large that they fall over into the creek beds. Finally, they present a fire hazard because they are so dry much of the year.

We'll also have the opportunity to work with local volunteer groups. CNPS manages a program called Weed Warriors, which runs a lot volunteer groups and has sponsored many single day NCCC projects. Our project sponsor, Frank, is a really funny guy and definitely has the gift of gab. Overall, I think that this will be a great project for us. My team has a ridiculous amount of energy and gets a long with each other ver well (so far). We'll get a chance to explore Sacramento more, and likely will not have another project here. SO, that's what I'll be doing until winter break in NCCC! I should know my next project by the middle of December, but for now it's all Arundo, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment